The Mutual Recognition Arrangement between U.S., Australia, and New Zealand has been designed to recognise the professional credentials of architects licensed/registered in the U.S., Australia, and New Zealand and to support their mobility by creating the opportunity to practice beyond their borders.
More specifically, the purpose of this arrangement is to facilitate:
- The registration of an architect licensed in a participating U.S. jurisdiction as an Australian architect or New Zealand architect; and
- The licensing of an Australian architect or New Zealand architect as an architect in a U.S. jurisdiction that has agreed to participate in the arrangement.
This enables Australian architects to gain registration in the following 30 U.S. jurisdictions:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico,
Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Australian Architects wishing to be licensed in the U.S. must have the following:
- Citizenship or lawful permanent residence in Australia
- Current registration in a state or territory in Australia
- 6,000 hours (approximately 3 years) of post-registration experience in Australia
- Registration as an architect in Australia that was not obtained through any other foreign mutual recognition arrangement
Please follow the link below and create an account to begin your application.
- US Architect: AUD $4,100
- Australian Architect: AUD $810
A card transaction surcharge applies to all payments (1.49% for Australian cards and 2.9% for international cards).